Friday, March 21, 2014

Recipe of the Week: Italian Themed Eggplant!


Let's face it...eating kale and broccoli every day is boring.  When you're in training for competition, you have to find creative ways of getting in your fibrous carbohydrates.  Luckily my coach IFBB Pro Roxie Beckles is not of the mind that one has to eat endless spears of Asparagus to come in contest lean.

She posted this recipe last week and I decided to try it.  It was a leap of faith because the only eggplant I ever ate was deep fried or covered in sauce and cheese.

To my surprise and delight this recipe was so yummy!!  Thanks to Roxie for the heads up.



Ingredients
1 Eggplant
1 Fresh Tomato (I like Canned Diced Tomatoes.  I used the Italian seasoned diced tomatoes from Safeway)
Fresh Basil
I can't believe it's not butter spray
Garlic Salt 
Oregano
Pepper


Directions
Preheat Oven to about 350 degrees
Peel Eggplant in stripes (Keeping the skin on makes it too tough)
Cut Eggplant into large rounds
Spray the Eggplant with I can't believe it's not butter 
Sprinkle with Garlic Salt, Paper, and oregano
Add Diced Tomatoes
Finish off with Fresh Basil

Bake for Approximately 15-20 minutes (Depending on your oven)

For those of us in prep mode it's a way to pretend you're eating pizza!  It is also a wonderful change to add to your veggie rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment