Thursday, April 3, 2014

Fitness Competition Journal: I am NOT competing to lose weight



Last week I received a rather interesting comment.  This person who has never spoken to me in 3 years of seeing me at the gym says to me as I am getting off of the treadmill:

"You've lost weight"

Me:  "Well I'm in competition mode so I have lost some bodyfat and I am leaning down"

"That's what it took for you to lose weight"

OK that's enough of that conversation.  I did not bother to explain anything to this person, but I want to be clear:  I am not competing to lose weight.  In case you didn't hear me:

I AM NOT COMPETING TO LOSE WEIGHT

I am competing because:
  • I want to throw myself out of my comfort zone (getting naked in front of strangers is a pretty safe bet)
  • I want to learn more about the body and it's response to training
  • I want to challenge myself to see if I can really push myself to new levels physically
  • I've always wanted to do it and there's no time like the present.
  • I would like to look strong and powerful

Fitness Competitions are not a weight loss method

I need to say this right off the bat in case you're thinking about competing because you want to lose weight.  STOP RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE AND DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER.

First of all competition training is rigorous and the dieting is hard.  It isn't some 4 month look great in your bathing suit type of deal.  You also can't dibble and dabble in prep.  Either you're on board for the journey or not.

The process is designed to get you to "peak" for one day

It is regimented and designed to get you to "peak" on show day.  Guess what?  That condition only lasts for show day.  After that people slowly begin to transition back into normal "offseason" weight.  For the division I'm looking to enter (figure), it appears most women tend to be about 10-25 lbs heavier in the offseason.   Divisions such as bodybuilding or bikini may have different offseason targets, but the point is nobody looks like that every day.

If you want to do a competition to lose weight, then you will be sorely disappointed because it won't last. You will also potentially run the risk of doing long term harm to your health because chances are if you're looking for a quick fix then you will find a coach who will say that they can get you ready for a show in 12-16 weeks.  Their method will most likely be to drastically cut calories and have you do lots of cardio.  All I have to say is prepare for the rebound when you come off of the "prep"

A good coach will be honest with you and tell you exactly how much preparation you need to do a show.  If you have not been consistent and serious about training and nutrition, then a show is a long term goal.  It should not be used because you want to lose weight.

There are no string beans here

When I first started training for this 2 years ago, I said I wanted to look like Serena Williams.  I have a vision of looking strong and powerful like 8x Ms. Olympia, Lenda Murray (seen on the right).  Now I am nowhere near this level, but I would much rather look like this with those types of cakes and legs than to look like a string bean with no shape but skinny.

I have never looked like a string bean and I don't ever plan on looking like a string bean.

So for me, when people think that I am doing this because I want to get skinny I just have to correct them.  No..no..no...I want to look strong and powerful with lots of curves and shape to my body.

So no, I am not leaning down so that I can look frail and thin.  

My goal is to look full and strong.


Putting in Work

Fitness Competitions are not a weight loss method because the actual prep is not sustainable as a lifestyle for most people.

Training takes a lot of time and effort. Oh you need to get in workouts.  Either get up at 5 a.m. or Stay until 9 p.m. until you get it all in.  Prepping for a show is putting in work.  It isn't going out for happy hour, drinking wine on Sundays, or going out to restaurants every week.  It's  eating what's on your plan, no alcohol, and bringing your own food to the restaurant, and keep going during the workout even though you're sore and tired.

How many think that they can keep that going for the rest of their lives?

I know I sure don't plan on it.  While I am in prep mode, I am focused but once the show is over I will be less regimented and get to enjoy my life with a few extra pounds.  

Good nutrition and Exercise is a lifestyle.  

Competition Prep should not be a lifestyle 365 days a year.  So many people who go that route end up burning out , rebounding with massive weight gains, and hating competing/fitness altogether because they did not have balance.  


I love myself either way it goes

As we get closer to the show and I began to change even more physically, I will have more to say on this topic.  The truth is that I know that getting into competition shape isn't going to change the core of who I am. I will be proud that I set a goal and achieved it, but I also know that my life won't suddenly become magical and happy.  

I'm not looking to competing to fill a void in my life.  I'm doing it for the challenge and above mentioned reasons.   I know who I am, I'm secure in who I am, and I love who I am on the inside.  I don't place my hope or joy in a leaner body or being a size 2.  I love myself whether I'm 160 lbs or 140 lbs.  

For the record if anyone is keeping track at home, there was a time I said "Oh if I lost weight then ________ wouldn't have happened".  Well guess what?  I lost about 15 lbs and the same thing happened!  It had nothing to do with my weight or any of that nonsense.

So I have learned that we just can't blame our problems or being unhappy on weight.  It's a manifestation of something deeper.

I think I've made my point!!!

Happy Training!!


No comments:

Post a Comment