Monday, March 31, 2014

Motivational Monday: That takes a lot of work! Are you willing to show up and get it done?

Picture it:  Sitting down for a consultation with my new trainer and she asks me what my goals are:

Trainer:  So G, what brings you in today?

Me:  Well I have decided that I am ready to get into better shape

Trainer:  Well that's wonderful! So tell me what are your goals?

Me:  I want to look HOT.  I want to look like Beyonce

Trainer:  If your genetics don't determine that you will have that body type, then you will have to be extremely regimented and disciplined with your diet.  You will also need to put in lots of hours of hard work in the gym. Oh and forget about Happy Hour and Wine Sundays.

Me:  WHAT!  It doesn't take all that and I'm not trying to give up my cocktails.   I just want to look HOT.  Isn't that your job to make me look hot?

Trainer:  Well what I am telling you is that I could be the greatest trainer in the world, but if you aren't willing to put in the work then it isn't going to happen.

Me:  Well forget you then.  I'm going to the trainer down the street.  He said that he could make me look like Beyonce in 6 weeks AND he's hot.

Trainer:  Well good luck G!  I hope it works out for you.

Are you willing to put in the work?

Sadly I wish I could say the above conversation is rare, but isn't.  I've had clients who don't exercise regularly, don't pay any attention to their nutrition, and then complain that they aren't losing weight.  Even worse they think that having a trainer means that they don't have to do anything on their own and they spend most of their session complaining.

The truth of the matter is that many of the actors, models, and celebrities you see have hit the genetic lottery. Those that haven't work extremely hard to look the way they do.

As I have ventured into bodybuilding, I have realized how much work and sacrifice it takes to achieve the physique one desires.  One of the things my coach told me right off the bad was that she was going to work me hard and it was going to be challenging.  She didn't lie!  I'm working hard, but I was the one who told her that I wanted to get up naked onstage in front of people...so I'm willing to put in the work.

If you're a busy parent or you have other priorities in your life, having six pack abs may not be of utmost importance to you and guess what? That's okay!  If that's not your priority, then just do the best you can do at this point in your life.  It takes a LOT of work for most people to achieve six pack abs and if you're juggling a family, a career, and other commitments you just may not have the time to do what it takes to look that way

The question most people need to ask themselves is:  Am I willing to make the sacrifice and put in the work to get to desired goal?  If not, then move on and pick something else.

It doesn't take all that....

Yes it does.

I get so tired of  people telling me that it doesn't take all that to get the look that they desire.  The killer is that most of these people are nowhere near to where they want to be, but yet they are telling me what it takes.

So many times listening to this I want to pull a Dr. Phil:  Well how is that working for ya?

I am here to tell you that it does take all that.  Yes, you must sacrifice wine and cocktails, time for meal preparation, eating out every night, being uncomfortable in workouts, sweating, soreness, etc.  If you don't want to do any of this, then go take your magic beans and come talk to me in another six months.

In my own journey I am learning it does take all that and even though it is hard work, I am pleased with my progress so far.  I tell you another thing: You can't even envy people who look awesome anymore because you know how hard they have worked.  All you can do is congratulate them on their hard work.



A note to fitness professionals

I believe many of us have dropped the ball in this area.  When a client is sitting in front of you and they tell you a goal.  Instead of saying "Oh yeah!  We can do that!" because you want to make a sale, fit pros need to be direct with clients

"That takes a lot of hard work, discipline, and sacrifice.  I will design a program for you and give you a plan, but are you going to show up and do the work.  It's not going to work unless you do."

If the client is onboard with this, then proceed.  If during the process the client is not keeping up their end of the bargain, remind them of that conversation in the beginning.  "You said you wanted this."

If the goal turns out not to be feasible for their lifestyle, then press the reset button and find something else to do.

Success will only come when the client puts in the work.  Don't be so thirsty to get a sale that you promise something that you cannot deliver.  If clients want to go to the magic bean trainers, then let it go!  Let it go! Turn your back and slam the door! 

It's funny because I have seen those clients a year or two later and I guess the magic beans wore off because they are usually in worse shape than when they weren't listening to me.

BOOM!


Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment