Monday, March 10, 2014

Motivational Monday: Word of the Week. (W.O.W) = Perspective



With Daylights savings Time, many people have been cranky these past two days.  The loss of the hour made us more tired and according to news reports more accidents and heart attacks occur around Daylights savings Time.

BUT how many of us enjoy that extra hour of sunshine and leaving work feeling as though we still have time to do what we really enjoy?

It is all about how you see things!

W.O.W. = Perspective 



Perspective Change: Focus on the Journey rather than the outcome



I am a results oriented person (DUH!)

I like to focus on outcomes which means I often focus on how much further I have to go rather than realizing how much I have already accomplished.



So often my expectations and time frames are so unrealistic that I end up disappointed with myself and feel like throwing in the towel.

If I have learned anything in the past year it is that we should focus on the journey rather than the outcomes because nothing ever turns out EXACTLY how we think it will which leads to disappointment and negative perspectives





.

Perspective and Unrealistic Expectations

As a Fitness Professional, I have observed that many people have a negative perspective when it comes to health and fitness because they have unrealistic expectations.  It becomes common to hear this:

 Sure I can do more pushups and walk up the stairs without collapsing, but I don't have a six pack.

I wanted to lose 10 lbs this week and I only lost 2!

I lost an inch off of my waist this month I wanted to lose 2!

This isn't working!  I am throwing in the towel. Sure my knees don't hurt and my back is no longer bothering me, but I don't look anything like (insert whatever person you want to look like)

It is easy to fall into the pits of doom and gloom when you are constantly focusing on weaknesses and what isn't happening.

If you didn't exercise at all but now you're exercising 3x a week, that's something to celebrate.

If the only vegetables you ate were slathered in ranch dressing or cheese, but now you're eating vegetables at least once a day (Without ranch dressing and cheese) that's something to celebrate  

If you couldn't run to the car without gasping for breath, but now you can jog a mile, that's something to celebrate.

Perspective and Past Failures Learning opportunities.

Many people cannot change their perspective because they are still stuck on the failures of the past.  Since this is a health and fitness geared blog, I will say that many people desiring to lose body fat struggle with this fact.

They've tried every diet known to man, resolved to get fit a thousand times, but never stayed the course.  Their perspective is negative and defeated when it comes to improving their health  They don't think they can do it, so they go into it with a "Well we'll see how long this lasts because it probably won't work anyway" attitude.

In order to achieve any goal, you MUST change your perspective from I can't to I will.  

This week's challenge

This week I encourage you to find an area that you have been struggling with (fitness related or not) and change your perspective on it.

I will share mine:  I decided to do a Fitness Competition (I am going to share my journey on this blog with you) and last week  this is what was going through my head:  

 "I really am in over my head.  I am going to be laughed off the stage. Why do I think I can do this? I can't do it.  Maybe I shouldn't have signed up for this"

Perspective Change: Boom!

After speaking with my coach and sharing my feelings with other teammates, I realized I wasn't the only person who had these thoughts.  Others shared that they had these same exact thoughts "Why am I doing this?  Will I really be ready?  I should back out"  I made up my mind that I am going to accomplish this goal whether it is in July or sometime in the Fall!  

My perspective changed in regards to my training this week:  Rather than sit around and think about how all the other competitors are better than me, I decided that I was going to work as hard as I can so that I will be proud no matter what happens!  I am going to give it my all.  I am not going to sit around and make excuses.

What perspectives do you need to change this week???  





No comments:

Post a Comment