Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Effective Cardio Training Series: Let's get off the Treadmill to no Results (Part 1)

As a fitness coach, it makes me sad to look around the cardio room and watch people work hard and sweat only to not see their bodies change or change in the wrong direction.

We've been taught that cardiovascular is the key to FAT LOSS. Many take up endurance sports like running and biking to lose a few pounds only to be frustrated that they lose weight at first but then get stuck and in some cases may gain body fat.

In this series I will be teaching how to effectively use cardio to their advantage whether they want to lose fat, gain weight, or improve their heart health.



Are we working efficiently?

Before we go any further with this, I want to ask you this question: When you're doing cardio, can you go for another hour or are you spent after 30 minutes?


I teach Group Cycling and recently I have heard feedback that my class is too hard.  I own it. I do not believe in people coming to a class for 55 minutes and just bouncing up and down on the bike without putting forth an effort or using the time to text and be on their phone.  If you're going to do cardiovascular work, then you are GOING to do cardiovascular work on my watch.  


Walking the Dog and Phoning it in

I use the terms "walking the dog"and "phoning it in" in my classes when I don't think the class is working hard enough.   


My recent experiences in the cardio area of the gym shows that "walking the dog" and"phoning it in" are common practices during cardio works. Every week I have gotten stuck next to people who are just chit chatting on their cell phones and not even short of breath.  Talk about phoning it in!






The truth of the matter is that walking the dog and phoning it in are not going to help you improve your conditioning nor is it going to help you to lose body fat.


Is Cardio the KEY to Fat Loss?


No. It's a TOOL in fat loss but the purpose of cardiovascular is to strengthen your heart and improve blood flow. It's not the KEY in fat loss which is why you're frustrated on the treadmill to no results.

The next time you are in the cardio area of the gym, I want you to observe  the people working away on the cardio machines.  I’m not saying this to be mean spirited or elitist, but I want you to make an observation and then take note of it.

Next, I want you to pass by the free weight area of the gym and observe the people.  


There is usually a big difference in body composition.  One group has a higher level of body fat and the other group has a lower amount of body fat and looks more “toned”.


That’s not an accident




I do not want to bash cardio and I am not a member of the anti cardio tribe.  As a matter of fact, I love cardio training for the endorphins and I think it’s necessary for cardiovascular health. Heart disease is the number one killer of women. We need to be serious about our cardiovascular health.


Common Questions about Cardio Training


In this series, I will be answering some commonly asked questions regarding cardio training.

  • I do an hour of cardio 3x per week and I’m barely losing weight! What gives!
  • What is the best form of cardio training?  Do I need to run?
  • I heard that Low intensity cardiovascular training is known as the fat burning zone?  Should I only be doing low intensity cardio so that I burn the most fat?
  • How can I do my cardio effectively so that I can maximize my results?



No comments:

Post a Comment