Thursday, March 7, 2013

Fitness Victories-John Farley







In early 2011, recovering from a recent break-up I forced myself to make a positive change. I walked into a spin class at 24-hr fitness not knowing a single soul and what I discovered transformed my life.

Indoor cycle became an activity that I dived into full-force, committing to at least three days a week. The people in my class were incredible and I had never felt so connected to a group or physical activity in my life. I gained amazing friendships and even an incredible roommate (true story).
In February of 2012, I purchased my first ever road bike in preparation for AIDS Lifecycle where I would brave the 7-day, 545-mile ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles. It was the first bike I had owned since my purple and orange Huffy in grade school. I appropriately named the bike 'Geneva Justin Macneal' after the three spin instructors who have had the most influence in creating my passion for indoor cycling and inspire and encourage me to expand that passion onto the open road.

That passion continues to grow today. I continue to cycle with my crew indoors and also independently on the open road. Since AIDS Lifecycle I participated in the 2012 Marin traditional century and there are more adventures planned for 2013. Cycling helped me to redefine and rediscover not only myself but also the world. A door closed and what opened for me was the world of cycling and I have never been happier or healthier.
ALC Team Misfits!
Geneva: John is such an incredible success story.  He brought new life and energy to our cycle classes. I was so proud of him for completing the AIDS Lifecycle.  Nothing was going to stop him from reaching his goal. The transformation has been exciting and fun to watch, and I feel privileged to be able to see it happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment