Thursday, March 21, 2013

Lame Excuses: Ain't Nobody got time for that


We've met Barbara who is frustrated with her attempt at a healthier lifestyle.  Barbara is meeting with her trainer to discuss her concerns.  After realizing that it is going to take time, patience, and epsom salt to get into better shape, now Barbara has another problem: She doesn't think she has enough time to prepare her food to stick to her meal plan.


Barbara:  So this meal plan you gave me.  You want me to make all this food.  I have a full time job and other responsibilities.  



Trainer:  Didn't you just tell me that you  spent all last night  facebook and google stalking that hot guy you met the other night.  Plus you watch every franchise of the Real Housewives and Downton Abbey religiously.  I think you have time to prepare meals for Monday - Thursday like I'm asking.  You need to PLAN AND PREPARE.

Barbara: I like to do those things for rest and relaxation.  I work really hard and --

Trainer:  Barbara let me ask you several questions:  How often do you come home and get frustrated because you don't know what you're going to make for dinner?  How much money are you wasting on food eating out?  You've even said that the food you're eating isn't even that good and it's not helping you get any closer to your goals!  How much do you waste on groceries each week that you don't eat?

Barbara:  But cooking all this food? Ain't nobody --

Trainer:  Yes you do.  Let me show you how.

Plan

Before you go grocery shopping, think about what you want to eat for the next week.  Take 10 minutes and come up with 2-3 meals. I'm only asking you to prepare food for Monday-Thursday.  Breakfast is pretty standard.  You can vary lunch or have the leftovers from the night before.  

Next, make your grocery list.  I would recommend using your smart phone. I like the app Out of Milk.  It also includes shopping deals for local stores.  This way you will avoid buying things that aren't on your meal plan.

If you plan ahead for the week, you will avoid the "What's for dinner? Pizza" trap that gets you all off track. 

Prepare

On Saturday or Sunday whenever you have some downtime, begin preparing food for the upcoming week.  Start boiling your eggs, grill the chicken breasts, bake the sweet potatoes, make the rice, etc.  The hour and a half you spend doing this on Sunday will save you about 4-5 hours during the week.  That's what I do, and that's how I STILL have time to watch every Real Housewives franchise and google stalk people.

Barbara:  So are you saying that I can't EVER eat out again and that I always have to make my own food?

Trainer:  No Barbara, this is a lifestyle.   Once or twice a week feel free to  treat yourself.   By making your own meals at least 4 days a week, you are turning this into a habit.  Besides, if you have healthy food available it will make it less likely that you will go off program.  Besides, I think once you start seeing the results of consistently making good choices you will be more likely to stick with it.

Barbara:  I guess I could take 1-2 hours on Sunday to make a few things and then I only would need to cook maybe 1-2 days during the week.

Trainer:   Trust me, you will save yourself so much time and money if you are well prepared.  EVERYBODY HAS TIME FOR THAT.

Tips

1. Before you set foot in the grocery store, plan your meals for the upcoming week.  Know what you are going to buy at the store before you get there to avoid impulse buys and food you won't eat.

2. Use a Smart Phone app like Out of Milk which will allow you to keep shopping lists.  Before you leave for the grocery store, check your pantry and refrigerator for staple items.  The Out of Milk app also has deals for your local grocery stores.

3. On Saturday or Sunday, start preparing for the upcoming week.  If you like boiled eggs, start boiling up some for the week.  For Sunday morning breakfasts, I usually make extra to keep for easy access during the week.  The point is start preparing your staples and Monday's meal.  I can tell you this, it makes Mondays so much easier to face knowing at least one thing is taken care of.

4. Hold yourself accountable for Monday-Thursday.  





1 comment: