Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Spring has Sprung



Happy Spring!  

Springtime holds so much promise.  It's the season for awakenings, rebirths, and celebrations of victory and life. 


First Quarter: Game On

Spring marks the end of the first quarter of the year.   During a sporting game, the competition is revealed in the First Quarter. All of the planning and preparations are being executed. The game is on!


It's my blog and I wanted a picture of Tom Brady
The teams  have made plans and are executing those plans out on the field. There will need to be adjustments. because while coaches can be prepared the game isn't going to go exactly as planned.  Coaches can't/won't be prepared for EVERYTHING. There may be an injury, play fake, weather conditions, other team has a new strategy, etc. This is where a good coach separates from a mediocre coach.  A good coach will re-evaluate their game plan and make necessary changes while continuing to motivate his team not to give up.  (They can orchestrate a blackout to reignite the team.  Just kidding!)

 A mediocre/bad coach will see things are going downhill, continue on with the failing game plan, and eventually the players will become discouraged and give up.

The same goes with life. In January we set goals and made plans to accomplish them.  We've prepared and researched and are implementing these new plans into our lives.  If you're doing things right, then I guarantee you've encountered some obstacles and need to do revisions.

If you're simply trying to maintain the status quo then it will be business as usual, and you won't need to change anything.  This also means things in your life won't be changing either.


Commercial Break

Because I felt a need to make significant progress this year, I needed help in forming goals and plans.
 I completed the 30 Day PUSH Challenge with Chalene Johnson which I've mentioned before.  Seriously...If you get a chance check it out.




Reality Check Time

So January 1, I'M FIRED UP! READY TO GO! Game is on!!!!  This year I have come to understand that the first quarter isn't necessarily about just getting out there and going full force.  The first quarter is   reality check time.  This is where we learn where we ACTUALLY are in terms of progress and this is also the time to ask yourself some serious questions about your game plan.

Typical Questions
Where am I now?  How much further do I have to go?
Do these goals fit with my destination or are they a distraction?
Is this even what I want?
Does it fit with my lifestyle?

Where am I now?  How much further do I have to go?

I set some pretty scary goals for myself this year and during this first quarter, I realized some may take longer than I had anticipated.  I was much further away than I had originally estimated. I was bummed, but I resolved to work all of 2013 to get to my destination in 2014.  I haven't abandoned my goals, I just readjusted the time frame.  Most goals aren't realistic, the timeframe we give ourselves to accomplish them is unrealistic.

Do these goals fit with my destination or are they a distraction?

This year I also began the process of de-cluttering and removing "stuff" that does not fit in with my destination.  This process wasn't only about my closet.  The process included de-cluttering my work life, my schedule, etc.  I began to seriously form my destination.  I know where I want to go, and I began to question whether my activities, business, etc. fit in with this destination.  If it didn't, I let it go.  

Before, I was hesitant to say, "No" to business and/or activities because I didn't want to lose out. Some is better than none right?   I began to realize that I am doing more harm than good by saying "Yes" to everything because everything does not fit my brand/destination. 

Is this what I want?

 Do the goals I have set support what I want or is it just supporting the status quo. Are my activities in accordance for what I really want?  Is what I'm doing NOW preparing me for what I really want? Am I just hanging out wasting time because it's easy?

Using the example of the sports team, their objective is to win.  What does winning look like to you?  Winning looks different to everyone, but our goals should support our efforts to win our own game NOT someone else's. 

In my personal spring awakening, I asked myself "What do I want if fear wasn't an issue?" That simple question turned my goals from being relatively safe to truly being challenging and going totally against the status quo.

Does it fit with my lifestyle?

Your goals should fit with your lifestyles and values.  They should be in line with what you think and believe.  You should already know what's important to you and what your priorities are.  That way when you get the advice that you never asked for you can say "Thankyakindly" and keep it moving.

I learned a long time ago that listening to others' advice about what YOU should do when you have completely different lifestyles and values is a recipe for disaster.  You can always listen, nod, and say, "I see your point"  

 I have a lifestyle that works for me and gives me peace.  Doing things that go against this would just send me back to the wilderness and desert of despair.  No thanks.  Been there, done that, and have the T-shirt.

Celebration Time

Spring is also the time in my faith that we traditionally celebrate LIFE and VICTORY.  I look forward to the celebrations and time of reflection. It inspires me to believe that there is always a chance for a new start  and rebirth.

I hope that whatever your tradition/background is that you take some time to enjoy this wonderful season of new beginnings, awakenings, and celebrations.

Take time this Spring to enjoy the new life all around us
Fiercely Yours,
C. Fierce


No comments:

Post a Comment