Saturday, June 15, 2013

PBWC Conference! The Next Genderation!







Donna Brazile
2 years ago I attended the Professional Business Women of California's annual conference.  It was life changing.  I got a chance to hear some of the most influential women in this country speak and I even got a chance to meet Donna Brazile.

For those that don't know, Donna Brazile was the first Black woman to ever lead a Presidential campaign.  She was Al Gore's campaign manager in his successful 2000 bid for the White House.

She is a powerhouse in the political world, and one of my heroes.


Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook
It was also during this first conference that I was first exposed to Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook and author of the New York Times Bestselling book, Lean in.  Mark my words:  Sheryl Sandberg is going to be one of the most influential women of our time.  I loved her message of supporting ambition in women and also making sure that the people we choose as life partners are really our partners.  In her talk this year she talked about how we need more women leaders and that we need to get out of our own way!


The Next Genderation

This year the topic was: The Next Genderation.  As I embrace my new role of a leader, it was right on time for motivation, life application, and new insights on what it means to be a woman in leadership.  The Next Genderation is ambitious and we want career success, but we also acknowledge that we want families and we need to figure out how to balance both with our life partners or solo.


Pro Family/Pro Man

One of the reasons that I am a big fan of PBWC is because they are pro family and they are not anti-man.  I have never subscribed to the belief that women's sole ambition should be to become wives and mothers.   I've always been ambitious and always known that I wanted to be out in the workforce.  That said, I also knew that the greatest job and privilege that I will have is to be a life partner and a Mother.  It was REFRESHING to FINALLY hear women say, "YES!  You can do both...but here's how it needs to happen."  Women of my generation want to be successful at work, but we aren't as willing as the generation before us to give up having a family .

Men are not our enemy.  They are our biggest allies.  One of the main points that Sheryl Sanderg and many of the other workshop leaders discussed is that Marriage is your biggest career decision.  Who you decide to partner up with is going to be one of the main determining factors in your success.  If you're partnered with someone who has no ambition and doesn't support yours, forget it.  You're going to have a hard road to go.  On the other hand, if you have a partner who supports your ambition, he will jump in to help with household responsibilities and raising the kids.

I firmly believe that we need to teach boys that being a husband and father (if they choose to go this route) is the most important job they will EVER have.  Maybe if we drilled that idea into them instead of excusing responsibility, we wouldn't have so many absentee and uninvolved fathers.


Women of the PBWC conference

Rita Moreno

Rita Moreno
Legendary actress Rita Moreno who is 81 years young and is still as vibrant as ever came out dancing to the music, and let me tell you she can MOVE!  Further proof to me that age is all in your head.  As Ms. Moreno said, "There's no such thing as an old lady".  

My favorite quote from Ms Moreno  "I make sure my soul is nourished.  The insides are whole.  I don't hold on to old resentments.  If my soul is nourished then the bones will take care of themselves."


Talk about inspirational.  She spoke of her upbringing, facing discrimination in Hollywood, and she dished just a little bit about hot affairs with Marlon Brando and Elvis Presley.  



Gov. Jennifer Granholm
Another treat for me this year was to meet former Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm.  She led Michigan through their worst economic crisis in history.  The entire state was on the verge of fiscal ruin with the demise of the car companies and closing of numerous factories.   She spoke about how to lead in tough times, and those tough times are what make real leaders.  Gov. Granholm also spoke about the fact that her husband assumed the duties of primary parent while she was serving in public office.  He was fine with this arrangement and they have a wonderful family.

During her speech, Gov. Granholm implored more women to run for office.  I started getting excited that if Hillary decides to break our hearts and not run in 2016, this could be our next hope.  Sadly Governor Granholm was born in Canada which makes her ineligible.  Oh well, I hope she makes it to the Supreme Court.

I've been thinking about what I would like to do next in my career, and while I have contemplated a career in media and such, I often think about getting involved in public service.  Things in this country need to change, and our lawmakers aren't doing anything about important issues.  As part of the next genderation, I believe issues such as education, poverty, violence, and equal rights are the biggest problems my children and our society will face.  


Another political powerhouse!
Being exposed to such dynamic women leaders really got my blood flowing and got me fired up and ready to go!

As part of the next genderation, I have had enough of these vapid and pathetic women influencing our daughters to believe that the only job they should aspire to is to look pretty, sound stupid, and take any male attention that comes along..even if it's disrespectful.

I believe those of us who have embraced ambition and also family life have a duty to spread the news that just because you're smart and want more out of life, that does not mean you hate men or you want to be a man. 

I love being a woman and I acknowledge men and women have differences.  Let's celebrate and understand those differences, and let's work together to build strong and dynamic families.

As I mentioned, I have thought about a life in public service and after I read how Gov. Granholm signed my book....I just about fell on the floor.  A few years ago thanks to my friend Stefanie, I got a chance to spend a whole day on Capitol Hill in a Congressman's office.  I didn't want to leave because I was excited to just be in the building.  

Hmmmmmmmm.  Could she be on to something?





No comments:

Post a Comment