Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Wonder Woman Wednesday: RuPaul

The Definition of FIERCE

Once upon a time there was a little Black girl who lived in San Francisco that didn't feel very good about herself.  She discovered the joys of health and wellness and her career took off.

YOU BETTER WORK

Seems like an odd choice for a Wonder Woman Wednesday but the truth of the matter is I've always found RuPaul extremely inspiring for several reasons




Not Afraid to be Over the Top fabulous

I have an affinity for animal print, glitter, lots of hair, and false eyelashes.  My style is more drag queen than anything, but one thing I always liked about RuPaul was that she was over the top and FABULOUS.  

I remember seeing her as a teenager and thinking:  Platinum Blonde Hair, 6 inch heels, and really short dresses.  This is probably my future.

I feel that more women should not be afraid to be over the top and fabulous. Most of us spend our time modulating our voices and who we are to fit in society's box.

Championing Loving Who You Are

If you don't love yourself, then how the hell do you expect anybody else to love you.

As I mentioned in the opening, I didn't feel very good about myself growing up and the biggest difference in my life now compared to back then is that I love who I am and I make no apologies about it.

I don't fit into very many conventional ideas of who I should be and rather than picking myself apart for not fitting the mold, I celebrate loving who I am because how else can I expect anyone else to love me

I used to listen to the song Work! all the time Chante Sashaying....and now it's a workout staple!  Honestly if you have a not feeling so hot day put that song on and practice your runway walk.  I have been guilty of doing this in the gym.

Trailblazer

It takes a lot of courage to be the first anything and especially the first drag queen to really go mainstream.  RuPaul has hosted a talk show, had hit songs, a hit TV show, been in movies, and a social activist.

I take my hat off to anyone who blazes their own trail.


Thank you RuPaul for all of your inspiration!  

Chante will SASHAY with the best of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment