Monday, August 18, 2014

G Day: 8.1.7.?? What I hope to learn this year!

The annual celebration known as G Day has come and gone.

My birthday was yesterday and it was a great day. There was no spectacular celebration but that wasn't the point.  I was more proud of what I DIDN'T do.

I didn't do the following:

  • Spend 2 hours in my journal analyzing why my life sucks 
  • Sit around and stew about why everyone else's life is better than mine 
  • Grumble and complain about why my life sucks and why everyone else's life is better than mine
  • Turn on Bobby Blue Bland and listen to him sing "Ain't No Love in the Heart of the city"
  • Think about how my eggs are going to dry up and I won't be a mother
  • Watch the episode of Hoarders with the single former PE teacher who gained about 200 pounds and ends up buried underneath all the stuff in her house.

I have done all of those things on my birthday in previous years and this year I decided I was done with this.  I ought to be ashamed of myself for grumbling and complaining.  My life does NOT suck.  Not even close.

Is everything going according to my life plan schedule?  No but that's the best part.  If it had, my life probably would have been in shambles by now.

I spent a big part of yesterday meditating and reflecting on what I learned in my last trip around the sun. I wrote down what I hoped to learn this year and I also wrote a declaration for this year of life.

All I can say is that yesterday was CRAZY. I blog more in detail about it on my spiritual journey blog. 
I thought I would share what I learned last year and what I hope to learn this year.

What I learned in my last trip around the sun

1. Selfish Ambition has got to go

The more we focus on ourselves, the more depressing life becomes.  It's too easy to focus on everything that's wrong with us and forget about helping others. I  also learned that when it's all about me, I completely disregard other people's feelings and stories. 

I can't just focus on me and what I want.  It's a miserable way to live.  

2. A mediocre life is not for me


I don't want to be one of those people that show up to work so that I can pay bills and buy stuff.  I don't want to work because it's just a job.  I'm far too talented and have too many gifts to waste it on a job that's just a paycheck.

The 6 months in my "management" job were the LONGEST SIX MONTHS OF MY LIFE.  I felt like I was losing brain cells every single day.  No thanks.

I don't ever want to settle for mediocrity and what's comfortable again.

3. Take Risks and Don't Give Up

G Day not only marked my annual birth celebration, it also marked my 6 month anniversary of starting my own Fitness Enterprise.  It was a big risk, but one well worth the effort.  The only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner.



Me and Coach Roxie with a destination of stage 2015!
This past year I also trained for my first Fitness Competition and although I won't be competing until next year, at least I tried and I have made some serious progress towards this goal.  It was risky but I'm proud of myself for at least getting serious about my goal.




I learned that if you really want anything to happen in your life, you've got to take a risk. 

 Close your eyes and press send.

What I hope to learn in this New Year of Life

1. Trust My Instincts



Interestingly enough in my journal last year I wrote that I should not take the management job because I didn't think it was what I was supposed to do.  What was I supposed to do?

Exactly what I am doing now.  If I had trusted my instincts, then I never would have taken that job.  I do like that saying "Sometimes you have to be willing to be wrong in order to see that you're right".  I definitely learned my lesson on that one.

This year I hope to trust my instincts so that when everyone else is screaming "No, no, no" but my gut is saying "Yes, Yes, Yes" that I go with my instincts.

2. Connect and Nurture Positive Relationships

I'm at a point in my life where I am ready to connect with others in positive relationships and no just not romantically.  I am ready to connect with REAL, LIKE MINDED  people and nurture positive relationships.

I want to start building my Circle of Genius:  A group of people that I respect, admire, and also can have fun with.

3. Work on My Communication Skills

Eight Months into 2014 and I have not ambushed any gym members:  This is growth.  

In all seriousness, I want to improve my communication skills.  I want to seek first to understand rather than trying to prove my point and how right I am. 

I also want to be more transparent and vulnerable with individuals and also on my platform.  I do not ascribe to that #Fitfam nonsense of "I'M HARDCORE ALL THE TIME!  I EAT RAW MEAT!  I FEEL AWESOME 365 DAYS A YEAR"

If you want that kind of talk, then this is not the  health and fitness blog for you.  

I want to be as transparent and vulnerable as possible because that's where the real power lies.

Another year to get better


I don't like to think I'm getting older. I think I'm getting better.  Seeing those Master's women competing in Master's Physique lit a fire under my butt.  I am going to continue on lifting and leading this healthy lifestyle because at the end of the day the point is to not only live longer but to live better.
Here's to another year of life!  Another year of Impact, Purpose, and Love!  

I think this one is going to be pretty darn exciting.


No comments:

Post a Comment