Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Is it a Boy or Girl: Yep that happened and celebrating my 100th Post on this Blog!

Last week I was practicing my movement training and the woman next to me looks at me in surprise and asks excitedly, "Boy or girl?"  I paused and said, "I'm not pregnant".  I do know this woman so I didn't want to get too snippy and so then she says, "But your belly looks bigger."  I said "that's because I gained weight."  I didn't add that I was 1 day away from surfing the crimson wave and ladies you know that's how it goes.

So as this continues on she asks me why I went off my diet from last year and I tried explaining that wasn't sustainable and that my body stopped responding.  She then began to launch into why I should go gluten free because I can lose weight that way.  I told her I don't have a gluten allergy and I don't really eat much wheat anyway because of digestibility.

Finally I told her, "I'm not trying to lose weight.  I am trying to gain muscle mass and cause my metabolism to adapt to a higher caloric intake."

She apologized and I tried to tell her that it didn't matter.  Yes, I've gained weight and it's okay to notice.  I'm not offended because weight fluctuates and what I weigh doesn't determine WHO I am.

I didn't have time to tell her what I learned last year and that was that it really doesn't matter.

Ladies, Stop being Body Fascist Police

It's really interesting that the most criticism and body shaming for women doesn't come from men.   It comes from other women.  Hardly any of us are measuring up to these unrealistic standards of the perfect body and yet we feel it's our duty to let other women know when they are gaining weight and what they SHOULD do to lose weight.

Can we please stop this?

Many of us do better to focus on our inner lives so that we can STOP putting so much emphasis on this superficial nonsense and can LET GO of the body shaming hobby  and if you want to know the truth, if you're a heterosexual woman MEN DO NOT CARE.

I just read a story this week about the Thigh Gap and this study found that it made no difference to men or women if someone had a thigh gap.  Yes it was a real study.

This week you may have seen the photo going around of the woman in Old Navy who had her feelings hurt after hearing people make fun of plus size clothing.  Maybe the words weren't said to her directly but we really should think about what we say before we say it.

Here the actual story if you're interested    This is the woman Rachel Taylor and I am happy that she posted her picture instead of hiding in shame.

One of the things I am committed to doing is changing the conversation in the fitness industry when it comes to improving health.  I am sick of it being about people being obsessed with thinness and trying to look like this picture of perfection that isn't sustainable and people who push this as the metric of whether or not one is worthy to live their lives. 

How about being the BEST version of yourself?  How about eating healthy and fresh foods because you FEEL better and are able to LIVE your life with vitality and energy instead of sickness and lethargy.  What about exercising to get stronger, in better condition, and to slow down the aging process?  Yes it is awesome to see physical changes but people who are solely in it for the aesthetics usually have other things brewing beneath the surface and focusing on the superficial is just one way to mask that.  It's no more healthy than someone who has emotional eating issues.  

I've made up my mind that my message is going to be about helping people to LIVE better because 83% of people are not active and obesity rates are rising every day.  Whenever i tune into social media fitness experts, I can see why folks want nothing to do with it.  I want nothing to do with it!  It's all silly and ridiculous.  The message is to embrace where you are and to continue to do better.

This is the 100th post!  More to Come

I always wanted to blog and my goal was to share my own journey and help some others.  I think I've been doing that and I look forward to sharing more.  This is going to be a platform for my message about Stopping the Body Fascist Police, Body Image, Living Better, and my own fitness journey.

Where  I am 

I am currently researching more info about metabolism.  I truly believe the reason most women get stuck, plateau, and then continue to gain weight despite their best dieting efforts is because they continue to ride the caloric deficit and cardio train to no avail.  For me I came to the realization that counting calories, macros, and cardio wasn't helping me at all so I should do something different.

Our bodies loves to adapt and that includes metabolism.  So my body had adapted to eating lower calories and cardio.  Time to shake things up.  

Here is my regimen
  • No counting calories 
  • Nutrient Timing:  Carbs before workout, BCAA's intra workout, and after workout along with protein
  • Changed workouts:  Systematically adding Volume to my workouts so we don't adapt.
  • Right now my workouts are 3 days lifting: Push/Pull/Legs and 1 Day Bootcamp Metabolic Workouts.  The other days is mainly mobility and stretching.
  • No formal cardio
Can I tell you that I am feeling great!  I had not lifted since the end of April and I went right back without losing any strength and my back is fine.  So there you go.

I will stay here for the next 6 weeks or so and I think by that time I will be ready to start a Fat Loss Program where again it will be systematic and I will get back to my happy place where I am comfortable.

Workouts for me have become fun again.  They aren't punishment or doing it because I'm scared to get fat.  I'm doing it cause it's fun and makes me feel great.

Know what else?  Even 15 pounds heavier, I still like myself.  Before that woman asked me if I was having a boy or girl, I was noticing how my shoulders do not slump and you can see definition. I was excited!  That's what makes me feel good...Looking strong.  Not skinny!

Oh yeah and word to the wise:  Unless she looks like she is ready to deliver don't ask a woman if she is pregnant.  Wait for her to tell you.

Here's to 100 more fun and HIGHLY AGGRESSIVE posts and encouragement to help people LIVE BETTER!!






No comments:

Post a Comment